Thursday, August 27, 2020

I'M GOING HOME!!!!

 Well, an interesting thing happened today.  I was coming out of group therapy when my nurse asked if he could see me in the interview room. I followed him to the room and as I entered, there sat my doctor, my nurse, social worker and psychiatrist.  I sit down and my doctor asks how I'm feeling and a few other small questions.  After I answer those she asks what takeaways I have from my time in the unit.  I talk about my journal, and some self realizations I've made about how I'm responsible for my care and happiness.  She asked if I would be able to continue to journal at home when I'm released.  I say that I can and will continue to journal and she smiles and says "so if we send you home today, you'll be alright?"  I'M GOING HOME TODAY!!!!!!

They said it'd be a few hours as they had to get my paperwork around and work on getting my meds filled.  That's fine with me, they can take their time because I get to go home today!!  So I thanked them all for everything they have done for me and got up and left the room.  I went back to the day room and two of the people I had made friends with were sitting there and I told them the news.  I got congrats from them both and then went back to my room to pack up my stuff.  

Lunch came next and I sat with my friend and talked a little about my leaving  and what his plans were for when he gets out.  After lunch we went back to the day room and I gave him my cell phone number and told him to shoot me a text when he gets out to let me know he's doing alright.  My nurse came in and got me and told me to call a ride because all my things were ready.  They gave me my street clothes back and I immediately changed.  You have no idea how good it felt to put shoes on again.  I know that may seem silly but it's true.  I had spent the past several days wearing clothes they gave me and socks they gave me, so putting my own clothes back on was very nice.  

I then went back to the day room for group therapy.  About half way through it my nurse came to the window and pointed at me.  I get up and say my goodbyes and pick up my bags and wallet from the nurses station.  We head down on the elevator and I see Jill sitting out there waiting.  I get in the van and immediately break down.  I think it was a combination of relief, happiness, being a little scared, and leaving behind some friends whom i had gotten to know very well in my time there. 

We drive home and so begins my life away from the hospital.  It definitely feels like a new start for me.  One that terrifies me, one that has me excited, on that I hopefully will not take for granted.  It's funny how my time there went.  And how full circle I can in those 4 days.  By the time I left I didn't mind the place , the people, the group therapies, because they all helped me and I am forever grateful.  I do not regret my decision to seek help.  If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't change a thing.  So much good came from my time there and I left feeling completely different than when I went in.

Now to journal from home and try to set up my new normal.  Thank you to everyone who reached out to us, prayed for us, sent texts and messages.  You are all very much appreciated and we love you all!!


Until Next Time,
Be Well.....

No comments:

Post a Comment