Wednesday, August 26, 2020

8-20-2020 Day 2, Part 1

Day 2 here and this morning has been interesting to say the least.  I was in bed last night by 9:30pm and  slept until 6:45am.  I was not even aware that someone was sitting in my room all night.  It was a little awkward at first, but, I fell asleep with little problem.  It was however a little jarring to wake up and see someone sitting at the foot of your bed staring at you.  

I got up and got dressed and turned my C-Pap machine back in because I'm not allowed to keep it for reasons stated in an earlier entry.  I was sitting at my desk when I hear a knock at my door.  I said it was open and to come in, a girl walks in and the first thing she says is "Hi, we went to high school together, my name is...."   I instantly knew who she was as she was part of the group of friends that I ran with in high school.  We chatted for a few minutes, she wanted to make sure I would be comfortable with her being on my floor as we know each other.  I assured her that it was fine and she wished me the best and went on her way.  Not was I was expecting first thing in the morning but it's ok. 

I went to breakfast.  And I seem to have made a "friend" here.  I spoke of a guy earlier who claims to be a prophet and claims he is Jesus.   Yeah...  that guy.    He seems to seek me out whenever we happen to be in the same room.  He has sat with me and ate with me as well.   He is a nice enough guy, just a little out there.  But he is encouraging and that is nice.  He keeps telling that God has big things in store for me and to hang in there.  Then 10 minutes later he's trying to summon his angel named Michael to kill one of the nurses and says he is going to sue the hospital and that he will not lose that case because his lawyer is God and no one beats God in court.  What do you say to that??  

I spoke with a group leader about coping strategies.  We talked about keeping a journal and how it really helps to get your thoughts and feelings out and onto paper, therefore making them real and tangible.  So that gives me a group session under my belt.  It wasn't so bad really.  I made it out to be much worse in my head.  It wasn't the "Hi, my name is Rob and I'm depressed" type group.  It was just people sitting around in a circle sharing their stories and supporting one another, it was a nice thing to be a part of.  I will attend another group therapy session today at 1pm as well.  I will attend all I can so that they can see I'm making an effort here. All of this that I've talked about was before 10:30 this morning...  

I will be meeting with my doctor again today and I assume there will be multiple other meetings as well.  That is something I have picked up on is that there is always someone knocking on your door or asking you to come speak with them if they see you in the hallway.  Which is fine, it shows they care and want to see you get better.  

Speaking of feeling better, I am already starting to feel better after they adjusted my medication.  I can feel a difference in my mood and my outlook on things.  I think that keeping my journal and speaking to so many people, both patients and staff, has helped me tremendously.  I am hoping this progress translates into my getting discharged sooner rather than later.  

Just got done with lunch and it was actually pretty good.  I won't bore you with what I ate as I have been, I realize that it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.  I got to speak with Jill (it's out 21st dating anniversary) and Alex.  I don't think Alex quite knew what to say, he was very quiet and only gave one word responses.  I'm sure he knows something is off and has thrown off things in his little world as well.  I was good to hear them though, even if it was just a rundown of how everyone is doing and then giving them a rundown of how my time here is going.   My lunch was however interrupted by another doctor visit.  But this one brought bad news, she gave me the results of my bloodwork and told me that I had high blood pressure to the point I will need medication for it. Then she asked if I ever had kidney problems and I said no.  She then tells me that my kidney function has trended down ever since 2018 and that some level (I forgot what it was called) was higher than they'd like.  So going forward that means no more Ibuprofen or Motrin which I take a lot for my headaches.  But apparently it can damage your kidneys if taken too much.  So now it's Tylenol only for me I guess.

I got to meet several new people in group today.  All of them were very nice and willing to talk which makes things easier because I am not good at small talk.  After I get done with my 1pm group therapy my day will be pretty much free.  There is an exercise group meeting at 3pm.  I think I'm going to take a hard pass on that group and focus on writing another journal.

Tonight is visitation night.  I'm not sure if I will have any visitors or not.  If I don't, I will understand.  People have things going on and I get that.  I'm really hoping to discharge by Saturday.  I really feel like I am doing well and feel like I have a better grip on things.  I guess time will tell.  We are closing in on my next group therapy session.  I will write more after that and fill in on how group went.

Until Then,

Be Well....

No comments:

Post a Comment