Wednesday, January 25, 2012

7 Years Ago...

7 Years Ago, And Other Mindless Ramblings..

Hey all !!
   Sorry it's been a minute since my last blog.   I've been working some crazy hours and haven't had much of an opportunity to get on here and check my email, let alone come up with a blog.   And to be honest I don't have a direct topic for today's blog..  Just some mindless ramblings that have been kicking about in my head.
So here we go...
First and foremost I want to start by saying Happy Birthday to my "chief" or "champ".   My oldest son Caleb turns 7 tomorrow.  It's hard to believe that he's closing in on 10 years old.  I can't fathom how quickly he's grown and how big he is....   I look at little kids with their parents when I'm at work and can remember Caleb being 2, being 4, and turning 5.   He's grown up so much.  I'll have to choose my words carefully lest I start blubbering on my keyboard here...     I see the changes starting in him that as a parent you fear.  I see the innocent edge starting to be worn off little by little.   I see the fiercely independent side of him showing through more and more..  I even see the slightly dishonest side coming through in little things like sneaking candy or trying to talk his way out of things.  And it breaks my heart a little to see all this taking place.  But, he's growing up and it's bound to happen.   But the fun of it all is there are moments where he's reminded that he needs you and in that you're reminded that he needs you.    There are the little moments where he comes and sits down next to me and works his way under my arm.   We have our little things we do together.   Like tomorrow before I have to work ( yeah, I get close on my son's birthday.....)  we are going to go to breakfast at The Depot in Leslie.  He's still obsessed with trains and eating in an old train depot is something he loves to do.  He sits there as we're waiting for our food and comes up with all these scenarios of what used to go on in the depot 100 years ago and says he can picture the people siting and waiting for the train to come.  One time we were there and a real train stopped just shy of the depot so the conductors could get some lunch.  Caleb was beside himself...  He was probably 5 when this happened.   He gets up, marches right over to their table and just starts peppering them with questions.  They were kind enough to answer them all and he comes back after a minute or two and is just starstruck....  You'd have thought he met the most famous person in the world.  He was smiling from ear to ear and couldn't believe that he got to meet a real engineer and conductor...    Other than that he they have tons and tons of train memorabilia and pictures of the depot throughout it's history that he just sits and marvels at.  It's almost always a good time to take him.   After that I'm not sure what the plan is.  Friday, we're going to head to the Toledo Zoo at his request.  Figure we'll do the family thing and see how that pans out.  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't afraid.  The trip has all the possibility to turn quickly into a dumpster fire if the twins aren't having fun    We shall see....

Outside of that not much going on.   My grandparents house was hit by either a straight-line wind or a tornado during that line of storms a week ago.  Regardless, it literally sheared their 60 ft pine tree right in the middle.  Looked like someone took a match stick and broke it in half.  It also ripped down a favorite climbing tree of the grandkids that many of us have climbed at one point of another.  I think even some of the girls (my aunts) climbed it when they were little back in the late 1800's...    The storm also took an old maple in the back yard and split it then threw half of it into the back of their house in the process crushing a small barn that most likely was as old as the house well over a hundred years old..  The old red barn was a place of storage but also when I was little it was a house for rabbits, and endless amounts of cats and kittens.   Grandparents managed to get into the basement before it all went down and they're ok.  They were without power for quite awhile into the next week.


That's honestly all I have for today..  Just kind of a rundown of what's been going on since the last time I blogged.   I have some issues I'll be blogging over here in the next few days so keep checking back..

Til then, Be Well,
Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment